5 super snacks to grab during the work week
A busy work day is usually accompanied by inconsistent eating patterns. The result can lead to greater stress, sleep disorders, blood sugar imbalance, weight gain and digestive issues. These delicious and nutritious snacks may help you get over the mid-morning and/or mid-afternoon slump without resorting to chocolates, caffeine, muffins or fast food.
1. Apples are inexpensive, compact, transportable, readily available and delicious. They are rich in phytonutrients and dietary fibre in particular ‘pectin’ which can help bind to natural wastes produced in our body eliminating them, thus improving bowel movement and digestive health.
2. Berries that are fresh or frozen can be store in a container for on the go super snack. Berries are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and fibre to support the immune and digestive system.
3. Avocados contain monounsaturated fats which are known as the ‘Good Fats’ that the body needs to support the nervous system and balance hormones. It contains a high source of protein and vitamin E that is known to support the skin and give a healthy complexion. Avocados can be added to salads, smoothies, and/or eaten whole (excluding the pit).
4. Hummus on raw veggie sticks provides the perfect dip, vegetables such as carrot, celery, cucumber and bell pepper sticks. This snack is nutrition dense with protein, vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins and iron, zinc.
5. Nuts and Seeds are highly transportable and nutritious snacks. Try combine almonds, pecan, Brazil nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds. These nuts and seeds are high in protein and unsaturated fats as well a wide range of minerals and vitamins such as, magnesium, zinc and vitamin E. This snack can be calorific therefore it is important to watch portion size – two closed handfuls is usually recommended per day.